Thursday 24 May 2012

Little Miss Muffet...

...sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey...

While I certainly haven't been sitting on a tuffet, I have got myself some curds and whey! I made sure to label them, so as to know the expiration dates - I've heard 3-6 months on various sites (no book reading as of yet) for the whey, and 3-4 weeks for the 'curd' - aka yogurt cheese. I haven't as of yet attempted the yogurt cheese cake, to which it's been suggested that I make that a lemon cheese cake, as it's someone's favourite - plus we are coming into a 'bumper' crop of lemons! How lucky have we been! Renting a house with a rather large olive tree and a new - small lemon tree, which is fruiting! There is no rush to make the cheese cake, as the cheese has a few weeks before needing to use, I may add to the stash in that time period as well.

I let the cheese drain overnight, it's been fairly cool here, so I wasn't worried about spoilage, but I'm not sure that it would spoil as such in hotter weather, more research is to be done by myself on the topic and I've heard others let it drain in hot weather, but I'm still hesitant.

But all in all, not a bad first effort!


No comments:

Post a Comment