Tuesday 7 August 2012

Spiced Chai Latte Concentrate - No processed Sugar

Ok - this is my first time posting recipes, so we'll see how this goes. As of yet, I haven't figured out how to insert a 'print' button directly through the blog, but I will provide the link to the Google doc I created for the 1 page recipe.

Whirrring it up in my Sunbeam Milk Frother.
I originally found this recipe through pinterest. I have made it multiple times, but it called for brown sugar. I've been trying to find the right balance of honey as a replacement for the brown sugar to reduce the amount of processed materials used.

Today I made my best batch ever, and then later realised that I forgot to add the ginger! However, I really enjoyed this the best, so I'm posting the recipe minus the ginger, but did add a note to add the ginger if you like it a little spicier.

I did NOT use raw honey for this last batch, but a straight replacement in raw honey will work just the same, with the same taste results.

My full frothy cup with chai concentrate bottle and the milk I used.
I absolutely LOVE a good chai latte ever since it was {reluctantly} introduced to me by a friend in Melbourne. I found out that my first chai latte was made using a powdered pre-mix by Arkadia . Nothing wrong with them, except for the high process needed to make them powdered. Not my cup of tea. Long story short, I made adaptations to this recipe from tastykitchen.com, and I think the results are absolutely fantastic! {I had 3 cups in 1 hour after making this batch.}  The recommendation for storage was 2 weeks in the fridge, but I was able to keep mine in the bottle shown here (red glass water bottle from Ikea) for a month or 2. Just keep an eye on it and give it a smell for mold before using it, if storing it for longer than 2 months.

Get a printable version by clicking on the title of the recipe, below.


Spiced Chai Latte Concentrate
Adapted from tastykitchen.com (Amazing Spiced Chai Concentrate)


Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time:  15-20 minutes
Servings:  8

Ingredients
4-1/2 cups Water
1 stick Cinnamon
7 whole Cardamom Pods
2 whole Star Anise Pods
10 whole Cloves
1/4 tsp ground Nutmeg
1 tsp Orange or Lemon zest
10 tsp green or black tea or 10 tea bags
2/3 cup Honey
1 Tbsp Vanilla

Method
Boil the water and place in bowl or pitcher. Add spices and tea and let steep for 15-20 minutes, depending on strength (to taste).
Strain and add the honey and vanilla.
Stir to combine.
Mix 1 part concentrate with 1 part milk, heat and enjoy or pour over ice.
This concentrate can be kept in the fridge for around 2 weeks.

Notes
  • Freeze it in an ice cube tray and add to smoothies.
  • The original recipe called for 1 piece of ginger, if you wish to use, add it with the spices for the steeping.
  • The original recipe also called for brown sugar instead of the honey. I have found that replacing the brown sugar made no difference to the taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment